Monday, October 19, 2009

Are you a Millennial?

I know the name keeps switching. Gen Y, Generation Next, Millennial Generation and Net Generation are a few named in Wiki.
My favourite that I have heard is Millennial. Not only because it makes us sound very important...ushering in the new millennium...but also because I think this is how different we really are. We are growing up in a different millennium than any other generation.

This may not sound important as you think back to New Year's Eve 1999 when seemingly nothing happened... Let me take you back to that night for a second. What did you think was going to happen? Catastrophe? A new beginning? Nothing? I remember watching all day and night as coverage of every New Year's Eve celebration could be found on national TV. I had never felt a connection like that with the entire planet and everyone in it. Even thinking about it now, almost ten years later, I feel choked up about the experience. To me, this is what changed. For the first time in my known history, the world was coming together in something amazing. Sure, this had happened before say at then end of the world wars, the great depression, the first computer, any many more. The difference was the accessibility. It was live and in living colour!
We were all in it together whether is was catastrophe, a new beginning or nothing. We were all the same. With our anticipation and fears in tow, we ushered in the new millennium.

Now, before everyone who watched the moon landing, Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech, or the assasination of JFK chimes in, I will address this. I did not experience these events and I understand they were incredibly powerful and life altering events. This is my reason for including people born before 1982 within the term Millennial. I don't think it has as much to do with our age, as our mentality. The hippies for instance had some of the qualities that we need to bring through the changes we are to make in this world. So, I would ask anyone with that Hippie Heart inside them, to come forward and help the younger generation with compassion and understanding. Just like I experienced on December 31st, 1999 - we are all in this together.

There are a lot of positions to fill. What would you like yours to be? I'm not here to hand out the parts to the play of life. I'm here to get you moving in your own direction. We need everyone. We need you to figure out what you are passionate about and for you to start on your own discovery and mastery.

No comments:

Post a Comment